Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ciabatta {bba}



There are times when a reality check is in order: thanks to The Tortefeasor’s recent bread post I realized that I could indeed write about my Ciabatta (the next bread in the BBA Challenge, mine is the poolish version) in one sentence, and, more importantly, she made me see that I should glory in the superb taste of this bread, the best to ever come out of my oven (narrowly edging the fabulous bagels), rather than be disappointed in the lack of characteristically large holes inside; apparently my family members agreed because when I had apologized for the smallish holes in the bread they said, “So what? It tastes fantastic!” (and now I hope to bake all of the hearth bread for our dinner).


9 comments:

Kayte said...

I think this bread looks fantastic outside and inside...I am striving for holes like yours, nice and big with lots of nooks and crannies. Great job!

TeaLady said...

But you have holes and they are visible and they look great.

Cathy said...

Next time I make this, I am shooting for holes like yours. Your holes could be in the book! Particulary that hole on the far left - now that is a hole. Did you measure it? But even more important than the holes is the deliciousness of this bread, which you clearly achieved as well. Glad that you and your family loved this - it looks fabulous!

Di said...

That looks fantastic, Nancy! I wish I'd taken an oil picture. But we just ate ours plain or with butter and used some for sandwiches. It didn't last long... guess I'll just have to make more! =)

Laura said...

Nancy, I had the same problem= with my ciabatta, and apparently so did most of the other members of the group. I didn't love the bread though, the taste was okey not great. But again I used my starter instead of a biga or poolish. I will have to try it again.

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? Your holes are large! Great looking ciabatta.

Jessica said...

Your holes look great. Ciabatta seems to be the holy grail of bread, at least this far in BBA. Will we ever be happy? I can tell how good your bread must have tasted just from the pictures. It looks like it has the PERFECT texture. I'm making it again soon -- I just have to try!

Sarah said...

Your holes look fabulous! I'm hoping to get to ciabatta one this weekend. I'm glad you gave it such a favorable report, it's one that I've been really looking forward to.

Leslie said...

We are our own worst critics when, expecting larger holes, we're disappointed in exceptional bread (well, that applies to you, mine bombed!)