Saturday, August 15, 2009

Garden Tomato Bread



When I received a Tweet from @SunsetMag linking to a page of tomato recipes I immediately fell in love with the picture of Garden Tomato Bread (whole wheat, herbs, and garlic along with a healthy quantity of ripe tomatoes and their juice - recipe here) so I earmarked some ripening tomatoes on my counter just for the bread and baked it this week; I had a few mishaps in baking a half recipe of the bread (in the excitement of converting to fresh yeast, I forgot to halve the water), but thankfully "bread is forgiving" and I was rewarded with two small hearth loaves of savory bread that was delicious with seasoned olive oil and even better as a grilled cheese (with aged cheddar) and my husband, who had earlier pronounced that "tomatoes belong in sandwiches, not bread" found the bread "surprisingly, good," although to him "good" does not mean "very good" or "fantastic" or, apparently, "I'd like some more," so I gave one loaf away and will be finishing the other loaf - happily - all by myself!

[This post is part of the One-Sentence-Blog-Post-Week Challenge! Also, the bread is going to Yeastspotting hosted this week by Macheesmo, look for the roundup on Friday. Some of my Twitter buddies baked this bread at the same time, see their posts here and here]

15 comments:

Di said...

That looks really wonderful, Nancy! I definitely want to try it at some point.

TeaLady said...

Beautiful bread. Look at all those little chunks of mater, garlic, seeds, etc.

Kayte said...

We are so happy you found this bread recipe and shared it around...loved making it, loved eating it! We ate it plain, with herb oil, and grilled cheese...tomorrow we are making BLT for lunch with it, only the T will be the bread with the tomatoes already in it. Wonderful flavors in this bread. Yours looks so beautiful and nice that you made two smaller loaves!

Cathy said...

Looks delicious! Such a great way to use the summer's bounty of herbs and tomatoes. Definitely plan to give this one a try!

Anonymous said...

This bread sounds wonderful. I'm sorry I missed the group bake. Great sentence!

Sam@BingeNYC said...

This looks really good! I also make a tomato bread, adapted from a Judith Jones recipe...so, so good toasted and dipped in some good olive oil. Yum.

NKP said...

All my favourite flavours! Thanks for the link to this bread, I am looking forward to trying it.

Leslie said...

This looks so yummy that I think I'm going to have to make it my very first whole grain bread!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Sometimes men just don't get it. This looks so terrific! I'm ready for a slice ... make that two thank you.

Engineer Baker said...

But if you can have the sandwich *in* the bread, that's even better, right? This looks wonderful, and I'm so jealous of all of your baking projects - wish I had the time for them myself!

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

What a wonderful summer bread. A grilled cheese sandwich just sounds amazing on this. Although I only have a few tomatoes in my garden, it seems like there is always someone giving some away this time of year.

natalia said...

Oh Nancy ! This is really something !! I've to understend tweeter better ! Do you use your cell phone or only the computer ? I have an account but have never tried it !!

Madam Chow said...

I have some tomatoes ripening on the vine, and this looks like a perfect way to use some of them. The bread looks delicious, Nancy!

Mimi said...

Your bread looks so delicious, I bet it was good as grilled cheese. The pictures look so good, you can see all the chunks of tomato and seeds, yum!

SweetSadies (Penny) said...

It looks soooo good. I must try it! Perfect for the tomato harvest.