Saturday, September 1, 2012

Quick and Tasty Hamburger Rolls


We consume far more loaf bread - nearly always for morning toast - than we do any other kind of bread.  I'm always happy when I have an excuse to bake a hearth loaf or, better yet, rolls.  I love forming little balls of dough and shaping them into mini boules, or knots, or cloverleafs.  And then there's the cute factor when they're baked and nestled into a basket, or lined up on a tray.

Last week my friend Kayte was baking a new recipe for hamburger rolls.  We were about to host a dinner party, and I baked along in my kitchen, making mine into dinner rolls.

n.o.e.'s notes:

-  You can find the recipe on Kayte's blog post.

- The recipe is called "French bread" which made me think we'd have mini baguettes with a chewy crumb, but when I saw the ingredients I realized it was more an enriched white bread - with egg in the dough.

-  I had no active dry yeast in the house but I did have some lovely fresh yeast, so that's what I used.  

- There's a lot of yeast in the recipe - 1 tablespoon active dry - so the dough rose really really quickly.  On the first rise I actually punched it down and let it rise again, to give the dough time to build some flavor.

- I used around 2 oz of dough for each roll.  They could have been even a bit smaller for dinner rolls.

- The egg white wash gives a nice shiny, golden brown finish to the crust.

the verdict:

This recipe produced a nice, soft roll that was a perfect accompaniment to dinner.  I liked the rolls even better when I split and toasted one, and spread it with butter.  

I'd also like to try these as hamburger rolls, maybe comparing side by side with my favorite recipe (Beautiful Burger Buns from King Arthur Flour) to see which one comes out on top!

3 comments:

Kayte said...

It was fun baking with you...these rolls were very good, so it is always nice to have such a positive result. I think we prefer these slightly over the KAF ones you mentioned, but those are good as well. Nice photo of your buns! ;-)

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

I found your blog through Kayte. Your buns look beautiful. I love how the egg wash leaves the tops of the buns so shiny.

Di said...

Ooh, I'll have to add these to my list. I usually use the chewy dinner rolls from Cook's Country for burger buns (the recipe with the potato flakes & olive oil), but I still like to try new options.